Sunday, March 18, 2012

Shamrock Shake

Yesterday was St.Patrick's Day, and luckily it was a beautiful, warm sunny day.  I went for a run in the morning with Lucy while Erik was on his usual 4+ hour Saturday morning bike ride.  When he got home, we had a nice lunch and then I made a super-yummy Shamrock Shake for dessert.  Knowing that I was not going to be drinking any alcoholic beverages to celebrate St. Pattys day this year (in the event that I am preggo, still too early to test) I decided I needed a fun "green drink" of my own!  I actually enjoyed this much more than I would have if it was an alcoholic beverage, but then again, I am not much of a drinker....  Recipe below!

Although I make smoothies in the Vitamix often, I don't think I have ever made a "green" shake.  I set out trying to make this recipe, but I actually had to modify it due to not having all the ingredients on hand that I thought I did.  Here is my version:

Minty Green Chocolate Chip Shamrock Shake

  • 1 large ripe banana, frozen
  • Mint chocolate bar
  • 2 drops mint extract
  • 1 cup non-dairy milk of choice, I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/3 cup green peas
  • Stevia, or sweetener of your choice
Add banana, almond milk, peas, mint extract, and sweetener to blender and blend until creamy.  It will turn a lovely green color due to the peas, and I promise you cannot taste them at all!  The original recipe called for frozen spinach, but I realized as I was making the shake that I didn't have any...  Fortunately peas worked just fine. 



Take the chocolate bar, and grate about 1/4 of it into fine pieces (save the rest for snacking later!)  Mix in about a tbsp of chocolate shavings, and use the rest to top the shake.  

This was the most delicious mint chocolate bar I have ever tasted...  Perfect for this recipe too!

Pour into a cute glass (green if you have one.)  So easy and delicious!

I bought a set of these sweet little vintage glasses from a church yard sale a few weeks ago.  10 cents each!  Score!  :D
 
Lastly, locate husband (who just might be caught sitting on the back deck in the sunshine eating peanut butter straight out of the jar with a spoon) and replace the PB with a Shamrock Shake.  Sit down with him and enjoy!

Nice cycling sunglasses babe  ;)

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment