Saturday, January 21, 2012

What I am reading...

One of my favorite hobbies is thrifting...  and yard sailing.. basically anything that involves searching through other peoples no longer needed "stuff" in hopes of finding something super cool.  I have found some of my favorite things at such places, and I love the thrill of the hunt.  Last weekend I looked through literally hundreds of shirts and sweaters and a nearby goodwill and walked away with a bag of AWESOME clothes for around $12.  So completely worth it!  Really nice Aeropostale and Gap sweaters, plus a brand new DKNY dress shirt for Erik (that turned out to be a perfect fit) for only $3.  Anyone who knows me is aware that I love getting a good deal, but the environmental benefits to buying pre-owned things make me just as happy.

Anyway, in recent weeks of hitting up the local PTA Thrift shop and a few others on our visit to Raleigh, I happened to come across a few books on pregnancy and breastfeeding.  Gettting a little ahead of myself?  I don't think so.  It's good to be educated!  Here is what I have picked up so far...


I seriously think I spent less than $2 on the whole lot...  Two were free and I think the others were only $0.50 each.  (Yay for thrift stores!!)  So far the Mayo Clinic book seems to me the most informative.  I browsed through "Skinny Bitch Bun in the Oven" in about 20 minutes and think I got out everything I can out of this one.  Unfortunately there are not a lot of books out there in the category of "Vegan Pregnancy" and I am kind of bummed that this seems to be the most popular one.  While it does offer some good information, I am not a huge fan of the style of writing and "angry vegan" mindset these girls seem to be in.  While I was there myself in the beginning of my plant-based lifestyle embarkment, I have moved past that and now just want information that is going to help ensure a healthy pregnancy for me and our future babies.  Not to worry though, I have been vegan for long enough (going on six years) to know what I need to eat and where to get my vitamins, protein, and all those other things everyone probably worries I am not getting enough of..  Plus I spent a year as a plant-based cooking and nutrition instructor for the Cancer Project and Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine so I have a little training on the subject  ;)

Speaking of vitamins, I have also started taking prenatals.  When my regular vitamins recently ran out, I decided it made sense at this point to go ahead to switch over to the prenatal variety.  E and I have been taking Rainbow brand for a few years and have been happy with them.  I was excited to learn that they offer a food-based prenatal vitamin that carries a "vegan-guard" label, meaning they guarantee it to be free of animal products (and the potential toxins that come with them.)



I also liked that they contain everything I need instead of having to swallow three different pills as I have been doing.  My previous vitamins didn't have much iron so I took an iron supplement, which I believe to be the culprit to the occasional nausea that sometimes set in about 20 minutes after taking.  I have been taking these for over a week now and have had no tummy upset whatsoever.  I read that it is important to start taking prenatal vitamins for 1-2 months before you conceive so I feel good about getting a head start on this!

We are finally having a wet and rainy weekend here in NC which I have actually been looking forward to for a while.  You wouldn't think it would be possible to be sick of warm and sunny weather (especially in January) but sometimes it is nice to have some cozy weather that offers a good excuse to stay inside in your PJ's with a cup of tea... and spend some much needed time on craft projects!  More on that to come in my next post.  I have going a bit overboard lately on baby craft projects and I am excited to share them with you.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment