To tell my parents, we called them up and told them that we were thinking of getting something for the house, and we wanted their opinion of it first. They asked what it was, and I said it would just be easier to e-mail over a picture so they could see it for themselves. The picture we sent over was the ultrasound photo. My Dad has really been wanting to buy us a housewarming gift of our choice, and before he saw the photo he asked if this might fall in the budget for their gift to us. I laughed and told him I didn't think so, because this "item" was going to be very expensive. We all had a good laugh over that once they learned what it was!
(note: this is really more of just an audio recording than anything else since I basically just recorded me holding my phone to capture their reactions. The video of Erik's parents reactions was much better since I actually recorded Erik instead of just the phone. Rookie mistake!)
It was a little trickier trying to think of a surprise way to tell Erik's parents since we are in North Carolina, his Mom is in Michigan and his Dad is currently on the east coast for work. We had to call them on a 3-way call to tell them both at the same time. To set up this video for you a little - Erik and his Dad are always joking about building this huge garage in our yard and making the upstairs an "in-law" apartment so they can move down and be closer to us. At the beginning of the video, Erik starts in with their usual back and forth commentary on this "planned project" and asks them how many kids we would need to have to get them to move on down and live in the not-yet-built "in-law suite." I don't think his Dad realized right away where Erik was going with that question, haha ;)
So here we are at 11 weeks (actually almost 12) and I am feeling even better than last week. The nausea has almost completely subsided, and most days I don't even have any. Energy levels are still not quite normal but pretty close to it. The biggest change this past week is in the belly area. I am still not really looking pregnant, but there is a lot more roundness going on down there. I read somewhere that this is the time to wear "loose, flowing clothing" to hide the beginning of the bump, but I have found myself embracing what is there by wearing fitted tanks and shirts (except for at work where I am still trying to hide it!) It's a little bizarre to look down and not see my usual self, but it's also pretty awesome to think about what is going on in there.
![]() |
| 11 weeks + 3 days |
The baby is as big as a lime this week (that seems huge to me!) Measuring in at about 1.6 inches long, he/she has about a 1:1 head to body ratio, and now weighs in at about .25 ounces.
Developmentally, the fingers and toes have lost their webbing, and tooth buds, hair follicles, and nail beds are forming. Apparently this little one is also already waving it's arms and kicking it's legs quite often. I wish I could see or feel it, but I know that comes much later...
Yesterday I went yard sale-ing (a favorite Saturday morning activity of mine during the spring/summer) and scored a few sweet things.
In my treasure hunting (primarily for baby stuff in recent weeks) I am always on the lookout for wooden toys and found this little Haba fish. Since these things cost anywhere between $12-18 new on amazon, I was pretty happy to pick up this little guy in excellent condition for only $0.50. I have scored a few other Haba toys for around the same price at previous sales. I also hit the jackpot at the thrift store and picked up five new pregnancy/baby books (for only $1 each), including two by Dr. Sears. I have read great reviews on his books and I am looking forward to reading those. When I got home, Erik and I had a lot fun reading through the Baby Name Wizard together. He picked out names that I said "no way" to and everything I picked out he didn't like either, lol... Fortunately we have some time to settle on just the right one. Although I will say -we do have a girl name that we both agree on, but that will remain between just us for now.
The shoes in the above photo were not found at a yard sale, I actually had to buy those from the store... But I do have a good reason for baby shoe shopping already... This upcoming week is when we are planning to share the pregnancy news with extended family and friends. I thought of a clever way to tell my co-workers and it involves this photo (and the baby shoes) below...
I plan to secretly hang the photo up at work this week on the bulletin board with the caption below it "Someone's family is expanding by two feet. Can you guess who?" I have a feeling it won't take them very long to figure out who put it up there, but it will still be a fun little way to share the news. Our first appointment at the Birthing Center is on Tuesday, and if all goes well we are going to share the news with everyone else. Just two more weeks left of the first trimester - I am so happy to be right where I am :D

No comments:
Post a Comment