these pregnancy posts were kept private until we were ready to
announce the happy news to friends and family. this post originally
written on 1/18/16.
Well, things changed drastically since my last update. During my pregnancy with Arlo, I had virtually no morning sickness. Slight nausea, never even came close to getting sick, and I think it lasted a maximum of a few weeks. For some reason, I guess I just assumed that the next pregnancy would be the same. Well.... not so much. Almost exactly at the five week mark, I started to feel pretty nauseated. It was during the end of our Tennessee trip, and since we had decided to hold off on telling family about the pregnancy for a while yet, I just had to do the best I could to hide being nauseated. Things only got worse when we got home, and I spent most mornings completely useless on the couch, super nauseous and exhausted. Most of the time I could fight off actually throwing up, but I think that was almost worse because after I did I usually felt a little better. Over the last couple of weeks the "morning" sickness has actually turned into "evening" sickness, and almost like clockwork between 4-5pm everyday, I start to feel the drained, nauseated feeling coming on. I suppose it's probably better to feel this way later in the day, as Erik is home from work around then and able to help with Arlo. When I was feeling my worst in the earlier part of the day I would do the minimum needed to care for Arlo, and we would spend the rest of the time watching Mickey Mouse - or laying on the floor someplace while he played and I fought back throwing up... Now after we put Arlo to bed around 7:30pm or so, I head straight for the shower and then to bed myself. (ok well, to be honest I binge watch Nurse Jackie until I can't keep my eyes open anymore, but at least it helps take my mind off of my sick stomach!) I am wearing my sea bands 24/7 (except at work where they would certainly give away my secret), have tried all the ginger everything, and started on a new vitamin regimen, all offering little relief. I think the sea bands might help a little, and whether the relief is psychological or physical, I will take it however I can get it.
So, I am really not trying to complain here, but this pregnancy is not the blissful, easy experience I had with Arlo, and since I am documenting things, well, I am gonna put the good, bad, and ugly all out there. The sickness has been my most prominent symptom, but in addition my ta-ta's are also blowing up to a new size, and I can actually already feel a small bump in my lower abdomen if I am laying flat on my back. I think I could feel the same size bump around 11 or 12 weeks with Arlo, and I am 8 weeks right now. I have read that with a second kid you will likely start to show about a month before you did with the first, and while I am certainly not showing yet, there are definitely some changes going on in there.
At this point we are still uncertain where I am going to go for my prenatal care and the birth. I am still exploring our options and while I know I need to make an appointment in the next few weeks here, the sense of urgency is not as it was last time around. I am going to use the doppler or perhaps even the ultrasound machine we have in my department at work (if I can sneakily find someone who can help me get it working) and check the heartbeat in the next couple of weeks. Even though I have a really good feeling that things are moving along like they should with the pregnancy, hearing the heartbeat will really put my mind at ease and help me be comfortable in taking the next step to choose where we will go for the birth, as well as share the news with friends and family who don't already know. The birthing center where Arlo was born is high on my list of places to go, but given my quick labor the first time around and the fact that we are now much further away, I have some concerns with getting there in time when I go into labor. I do not want this kid born while rolling down I-40!
Anyway... Here are a couple pictures I took yesterday. Any and all belly roundness is total bloat from my transition from a virtually gluten-free to a gluten-filled, carb-loaded diet. Weeks 5-7 when I felt the worst I pretty much lived on saltines and broth, but have since introduced copious amounts of whole grain bread, pasta, and such into my daily menu. I wouldn't say I am having "cravings", it's more like I have a strong desire to eat the one and only thing that sounds good in the moment. Vegan PB cookie from Whole Foods? Erik will run to the store, I just have to say the word. Popcorn for dinner? Not really a meal but better than not eating anything. I am still trying to include as many vegetables and beans in my diet as I can, it's just hard right now to eat as much of them as I usually do. Anyway, bloat belly:
That is pretty much all I have to say for now. I will be back in another month or so with hopefully a confirmed heartbeat, less nausea (fingers crossed), and a bigger belly ;)


No comments:
Post a Comment