Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Easter 2015 + a first haircut!

For the sake of both saving time and simplifying things, I am combining two posts into one today - Easter Sunday and Arlo's first haircut.  We actually did the haircut on Easter so why not just blog about it all at once, I say.

This past weekend we had Erik's family in town.  We were so glad they could visit and had a great time with them!  Even though this wasn't technically Arlo's first Easter, it was the first Easter that he went egg hunting and received a basket.  So it was pretty neat to have family around as it made the time even that more special.





On Easter morning, the Easter bunny decided to wait until everyone woke up and had a nice big brunch before he popped in to drop Arlo's basket off, and he didn't even notice it at first.  It was almost nap time and he was starting to get sleepy and a little fussy.  He did look at one of his new books for a bit and happily ate the treats from the eggs, but then he was pretty much over it and wanted to go lay down in his crib.  In his basket the bunny left some sidewalk chalk, bubbles, two stuffies (a pig and a bunny), crayons, two books (the kind with big pictures which Arlo is really into right now), and some snacks.  I didn't want to introduce candy yet, so I found some organic fruit juice sweetened treats, and he loved them.  I found these bars at the grocery store, and am so glad I did.  Arlo loves them and they are individually wrapped so you can keep one in your purse or diaper bag for on the go emergency snacks.  Especially helpful for when you have a toddler who needs to eat seven meals a day.  Ha.  Moving on...

After nap time we headed out to the yard to find the eggs that the bunny had left outside.  I probably should have waited a while after he woke up to do this, but I was too excited to see Arlo's reaction.  As well, our guests were heading back home mid-afternoon and I wanted them to be around for the egg hunt.  I think the poor kid was still coming around from his nap and ended up breaking down crying halfway through!  He did pick up a few of the eggs (with encouragement) and ate the contents of every last one of them, no need for encouragement there.  One egg contained a cute little bird whistle but the rest were filled with the special Easter snacks I had bought.  The cloth basket in the photos below was made by my mom, probably more than ten years ago, for one of my much younger cousins.  So glad my Aunt saved it all these years and passed it along to us  :)


first egg!

now what?

over it!

but wait, these eggs contain food?  ok, happy once again!

After the egg hunt we took a few family photos.  Erik's brother, Scott, and their father both came downstairs on Easter morning dressed in red plaid shirts.  Knowing that Erik probably had a red plaid shirt himself (plaid is pretty much the standard uniform in the B family) I joked that he should put it on and match his brother and father.  He obliged, and after looking through the tub of clothes I have for Arlo that will fit him next winter, I realized that he too had a red plaid shirt.  So, this was not really pre-planned, but as it happens, all the B boys ended up in matching shirts (awwwww....)  The picture below captures the moment so perfectly.  The boys in their red plaid, Arlo with his beloved broom, and Lucy in the background staring intently at a bumble bee she tried to catch the whole time we were outside.  Perfection.




Our guests left mid-afternoon and we were so sad to see them go.  We love living where we do, but being so far from family and only getting to see them a few times per year is hard, especially now that Arlo is in the picture.  Fortunately we will be seeing everyone a couple of times this summer due to a family reunion and two weddings, and might even get to see them again before that! 

After everyone was gone, I decided it was time to give Arlo his first haircut.  I had called around to barber shops and salons earlier in the week, hoping to find one that was both kid-friendly and reasonably priced, but in the end I decided that I had the qualifications and skills to do it myself.  Actually, I really don't have any such qualifications, however I do cut Erik's hair myself and have now for several years, so I decided to just go for it.  I am so glad I did - it turned out great (pats self on back) and Arlo did way better than I thought he would.  Here are a couple of before shots, note the mullet in the back:



I started by using scissors to cut off the long part in the back, and saved a lock of it to put in his baby book.  I then used the clippers to go over his entire head.  For future reference, since I know I will forget, I used an 8 on the top and a 6 on the sides.  At first Arlo kept trying to turn his head to see what I was doing, but I handed him a turkey baster (why do we even own a turkey baster?!) and he was content to play with it for the duration of the haircut.



Here are the after shots.  I can't get over how much more grown up he looks now.  The wispy baby hairs are gone and he now looks like a little boy, ahhhh!!!



2 comments:

  1. The hair cut pictures make me want to cry! No no no... Arlo is a BABY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! BABY A and BABY L, right?! Don't tell me any differently - I can't handle it! ;)

      And for the record I am using my #babyarlo hashtag until he is well into his teens, hehe...

      Delete