Reading: Pretty much just kids books these days. We read Arlo a bedtime store every night while we feed him his bottle. I recently came across a copy of my favorite childhood book, Corduroy, at the local thrift store. The first night we read it to Arlo, Erik and I looked at each other at the end of the story with tears in our eyes. Such a sweet book about a little bear who finally gets a home. We are also very into Winnie the Pooh these days. Erik does a fantastic Eeyore voice which is pretty much my favorite part of reading the book.
Making: Last month we made a thankful board that hangs in our kitchen. My most recent project is a display to hold our holiday cards. I will be sharing that project with y'all soon! I have also made Arlo several bandana drool bibs (similar to the one seen here) because ever since his molars started to come in, he has been a drool factory. They are so much cuter than a regular bib, and now he doesn't have to go around all day looking like he is about to eat lunch!
Eating: a quinoa + butternut squash + kale recipe my friend introduced me to at a potluck a few weeks ago. I am pretty sure I could eat it everyday... Recipe coming soon! Also these Uttapams I found at Trader Joes a while back. I am all about the healthy, home-cooked food, but I am also a real human and sometimes dinner is something from the freezer that doesn't require any prep or much clean-up. These Indian flatbreads are vegan, gluten-free, tasty, and inexpensive! They are my go-to right now when I just can't get myself to put together a big meal.
Feeling: well-rested because our little teething monster has returned (fingers crossed) to sleeping through the night, and has done so several nights in a row now. cheery from the Christmas music I have playing on Pandora right now. happy that I have the day off with nothing planned except a little laundry and cooking up a big batch of potato soup later this afternoon!
Listening: I may be a little late to the party - but I have recently fell in love with that song "All About that Bass." Like, I just wanna dance around our living room shaking my booty singing it loudly when I hear it. Side note - I have realized that while Arlo is easily soothed by me singing "The Wheels on the Bus" he is also just as easily soothed as me singing Meghan Trainor's latest hit. So, you know, that's been my song of choice when Mr. Fussypants starts asking for a song...
Wearing: my new teal leggings, infinity scarves, boots and legwarmers, wool socks, and the crochet ear-warmers are back - yay!
Watching: Sons of Anarchy (such a violent show which is totally not me - but oh so good anyway), and to balance out the sex, drugs, death, and destruction of SOA, I watch an occasional episode of The Carrie Diaries. This show is directed at teenagers I am quite sure, but the young girl in me enjoys it as a guilty pleasure!!
Plotting: Arlo's first birthday party! Pinterest will actually be planning this entire party for me ;)
Loving: dark chocolate, Christmas music, and this new Soothing Touch massage oil I happened upon at the local co-op recently. I love this stuff so much I have been adding a few drops to the water solution I use for our cloth wipes. It is good for Arlo's skin and smells so nice at the same time!

I don't think I've ever sang a "lullaby" to Lyra. When she was teeny and new, I would bounce her and sing Lorde's "Royals" and it's still my go-to if she needs a bounce and a song to calm her. I also sing Lil Jon's "Get Low" a lot but change some of the lyrics. I sang her a lot of Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift too. I don't do kid music, so the only kid songs she hears are from the tv in the morning.
ReplyDeleteI wish I had started singing regular songs from the beginning. Our go-to song is really still "The Wheels on the Bus" and as soon as Arlo starts crying (especially in the car) I start singing. If I had a dollar for every time I have sang that song I would already be driving a new XC90 and have a personal chef *and* a house-cleaner. Ha!
Delete