If I seem a little sweet potato obsessed lately, it's not just your imagination. I enjoy eating sweet potatoes year round, but something about the cooler weather, leaves changing color, and smell of autumn in the air makes me crave them in a big way this time of the year. In fact, I have a bit batch of sweet potatoes roasting in the oven as I type up this post.
This soup gets it's creaminess from not one but three ingredients - blended sweet potatoes, coconut milk, and avocado. Fresh kale adds a lovely green color, chewy texture, and balances out the sweetness of the potatoes - not to mention the health benefits that it brings to the table. The night I made this soup, I had already fed Arlo his dinner by the time ours was ready, but I decided to let him taste a bite or two. He absolutely loved it, and gobbled up everything I offered him, including the cubed avocado. So without further ado, here is my Arlo-approved, rich and creamy, sweet potato and kale soup!
This soup gets it's creaminess from not one but three ingredients - blended sweet potatoes, coconut milk, and avocado. Fresh kale adds a lovely green color, chewy texture, and balances out the sweetness of the potatoes - not to mention the health benefits that it brings to the table. The night I made this soup, I had already fed Arlo his dinner by the time ours was ready, but I decided to let him taste a bite or two. He absolutely loved it, and gobbled up everything I offered him, including the cubed avocado. So without further ado, here is my Arlo-approved, rich and creamy, sweet potato and kale soup!
Sweet Potato & Kale Soup
Ingredients:
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans coconut milk (not the drinking kind)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch kale, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 avocados, diced
- salt & pepper to taste
Directions:
- in a large pot over medium heat, saute onion for 6-8 minutes in olive oil. add in garlic and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- add in cubed sweet potatoes, coconut milk (full fat for best flavor), vegetable broth, and salt and pepper. turn down heat to a simmer and cook until sweet potatoes pierce easily with fork.
- using an immersion blender, blend soup until most of it is thick and creamy. I do this by holding the immersion blender to one side of the pot, and not moving it around. this leaves some pieces of sweet potato whole and adds a nice texture to the soup. if you don't have an immersion blender, dump about 3/4 of the soup into a regular blender and blend until smooth. return blended soup to pot.
- add kale to pot, and cook until kale is wilted, about 5 minutes.
- ladle the soup into bowls and top with diced avocado. enjoy!
Mmmm... definitely making this! Lyra will love it, I'm sure.
ReplyDelete