Monday, March 24, 2014

Third Trimester Essentials

Even though I am nearly three months postpartum and pregnancy seems like a distant memory, my OCD won't let me skip the final installment of my mini-series: Trimester Essentials.  You can find my first trimester essentials here, and my second trimester essentials here.  Due to my lack of time these days, I am going to keep this short and sweet and just list a few things that helped me through the final trimester of pregnancy.


Birth Ball


Recommended by our Bradley class instructor, I purchased an inexpensive yoga ball online (I found a deal on Amazon for less than $5 shipped) and swapped out my computer desk chair for the large inflatable ball, somewhere around the start of the third trimester.  This gave me a little time each day in a squatting position, opening my hips and helping baby move down.  Plus it was pretty comfortable to sit on and allowed for good posture.  In fact, three months postpartum and I still use it as my desk chair, on the rare chance I get to have some computer time.  Side note:  putting Arlo in the moby or agility wrap and gently bouncing on the ball allows me to hold him hands-free, keeping him happy and allowing me to get these blog posts written!  ;)


My husband's t-shirts and winter coat
Erik doesn't actually own this shirt, but wouldn't have been sweet if one of us had showed up to the birth wearing it?
A few weeks before the birth, I started to raid Erik's closet for oversized t-shirts to sleep and lounge in since my maternity shirts were all pretty fitted and getting even tighter by the day.  Plus, my winter coat was just barely able to zip up over the bump, so when I was aiming to be more comfortable on the daily walks I was talking with Lucy, I borrowed Erik's coat!


Childbirth Books
Since we were taking a Bradley Class series, it would make sense that we focused on Bradley method books.  This one by Susan McCutcheon was highly recommended by our instructor and the one that we read the most.  Admittedly, I had purchased eight or ten other books related to childbirth, and didn't find time to read very many of them before the birth.  The best preparation was taking the class, and reading this book on the side.


 Evening Primrose Oil
The birthing center recommended that I start taking Evening Primrose Oil at 37 or 38 weeks of pregnancy.  I ended up taking it for just a few days, and then started having some signs that labor was not far away, so the midwife recommended that I hold off on continuing to take it.  I don't think the Primrose caused Arlo to arrive eight days ahead of schedule, but had I continued to take it perhaps he would have come even earlier.  However, Primrose Oil is supposed to be good for preventing post-term labor so for future pregnancies I would surely take it again.


That's all I can think of for now...  Next up, my list of post-partum and newborn essentials!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kendra -- this is Rhianna from birth class, my husband John and I sat beside you. I found your blog again by revisiting the link Susan shared with us. It's been so great to catch up on Arlo! He's so freaking adorable. I love reading your journey -- our little one, a girl named Lyra, is a week behind yours so it's fun to see how another family is doing around the same timeline as us.

    I hope things are going well for you and your family. Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhianna,
    Thanks so much! I have been wondering how everyone from the class was doing with their pregnancies and births - Erik and I were just discussing it the other day. Congrats on your little girl, and I love the name Lyra! We should get together sometime, I would love to hear about your birth story and meet your little lady! Perhaps Erik and I can have you and John over one of these upcoming weekends. The babies can have a playdate - as much as three month old babies can play together, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been wondering how everyone was doing too. I went into labor the day after your family came and shared with the class so I didn't go to the last class and haven't heard about anyone. Although we are going to share our birth story with one of Susan's new classes in a few weeks.

      We'd love to get together with you guys. I'm sure the babies would love to stare at each other and drool. :) Feel free to email me sometime and we can set up a playdate. rhiannabwells@gmail.com

      Delete