Friday, August 16, 2013

1st trimester essentials

I know I am now well over a month into the second trimester, but I thought I would put together a little list of the things that got me though those first few months of nausea, fatigue, excessive hunger, and the other fun symptoms that the 1st trimester brings!

Lemons
This was the first thing I would say my body was truely craving during the pregnancy.  I have gone through at least a pound of lemons each week since the very beginning.  The main reason they were so important early on is that they really helped me drink a ton more water and ensured that I stayed hydrated.  Plain water, especially dealing with the nausea, was something I had no desire to drink but I found that adding squeezed lemon actually made me want to drink it.  Limes are also a good option!


Prenatal Vitamin

I did a lot of research before we even started trying to get pregnant, as I wanted to find the best prenatal vitamin that was plant-based and as natural as possible.  Prenatal One by Rainbow Light contains no gluten, soy, yeast, milk, eggs, nuts, fish or shellfish. It is lactose-free and contains no artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, preservatives or additives.  What is does contain is food-based vitamins, plant-source enzymes, ginger juice and probiotics that support digestion and absorption.  I have been taking this for over a year and a half now and have never had any issues with an upset stomach.


Pregnancy Apps


I don't know many first time mothers who don't measure the weeks of their pregnancy by the size of fruit that their baby has grown to.  There are several apps for your phone/ipod that will tell you all kinds of useful information on fetal development and pregnancy customized to how far along you are.  My favorite apps are BabyCenter and WhatToExpect which I read daily, and Sprout and TheBump which I read weekly.  They were all free in the Apple App Store!


 Sea Bands


I debated on adding this to the list, as I am not completely sure whether or not it really helped my nausea.  I can't say anything made me feel completely better, but I think these Sea Bands did help a little.  They are accupressure bands worn on both wrists to help with morning sickness and motion sickness.  At at around $6 per pair, they are definitely something worth trying if you are dealing with morning sickness.


New Bras
Before I was even out of the first trimester, I realized that new bras were going to be the first maternity clothes I would have to purchase.  Knowing they were only going to keep getting bigger, I didn't want to spend a whole lot on bras that would only fit temporarily, so I picked up a couple inexpensive bras from Marshalls and TJ Maxx.  I like the wireless customflex by Barely There.  They are so comfortable you can sleep in them if you want!  I like that they are quite stretchy too so they will hopefully grow with me for a little while longer.


Starchy Snacks

I found one of the best ways to keep my stomach happy was frequent snacks.  High carb with a little protein kept me the most satiated, although I still felt hungry most of the time - even when I was nauseated.  Weird, I know.  I brought several snacks to work with me everyday so I could eat every couple of hours, one of my favorites being rice cakes and peanut butter.  I also snacked on natural granola bars, dry cereal, and dried fruits.


Ginger Tea & Ginger Candy

It is true - ginger really does seem to help with nausea.  Organic Ginger Tea seemed to help settle my stomach most of the time when I drank it.  And the Candied Ginger from Trader Joes also seemed to help!  Plus it was a sweet treat when I was feeling like dessert and nothing else sounded appetizing.


Lists... lots of lists!

 
Yes, seriously.  "Pregnancy Brain" is a real thing (even though my husband thinks I am just using it as an excuse for being forgetful!)  If I don't write it down these days, chances are that I will forget it.  Even at work I have found myself forgetting to do things shortly after I am asked to do them!  Yikes.  Fortunately no harm has been done and it seems to have gotten better in the 2nd trimester.  Perhaps the 1st trimester fatigue plays a role in the forgetfulness?  Whatever the cause, I found it helpful to write everything down as that was my best chance at making sure it got done!



Hopefully this list will be helpful if you are newly pregnant or planning to become pregnant soon. I also wanted these things documented for my own future pregnancies.  I have started a list of 2nd trimester essentials, and I am continuing to add to it as the weeks go by and I discover the things I find most helpful as I find my way through this amazing adventure known as pregnancy  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment