We spent this weekend at home, but still managed to keep ourselves quite busy. Friday was a lazy movie & popcorn night. Saturday was my usual early morning yard sale-ing (more on that later) and an afternoon mostly taken up by house projects. A few were in the nursery and we also bought some new furniture for our screened in porch which is finally starting to take shape, so the projects were actually quite fun. Saturday evening Erik had a local crit race which I was excited to be able to go to, most of his races involve a long drive and a full days commitment to attend. I am so proud of him, he got 3rd place in the P/1/2 race and his teammate got 1st! I always have so much fun watching his races and love to see him in his element. Sunday we got to spend the afternoon with some friends we hadn't seen in quite some time which was great. The next two weekends will be spent traveling, which seems to make time fly by even faster. Slow down summer!
On to the weekly update. 18 weeks along now, and I think that I am finally starting to look obviously pregnant. Earlier this week while at work one of my patients family members nervously asked about "my belly." I excitedly responded that yes, I am pregnant! He was the first person to ask so far, and it kind of surprised me as I still see myself as just a little thicker in my middle... But as I was editing the weekly photos tonight I guess I started to see what he saw, and the bump is bigger than I think it is...
| 18 weeks + 4 days |
![]() |
| 18 weeks + 4 days. and finally wearing one of the maternity tops I bought recently :) |
At 18 weeks the baby is the size of a sweet potato, measuring around 5.6 inches and weighing in around 6.7 ounces. Developmentally there is nothing too significant to report of. At this point the major systems are formed, the baby is looking very "baby like" and from this point on it's really about just growing bigger (for both of us I guess!)
After I though I felt movement last week I was sure by now that I would have felt something else. I have been having weird sensations of bubbles popping in my belly, but I am not sure whether or not it is actually fetal movement. When I read in my baby books that I would probably have trouble determining what was a movement and what was gas/digestion/etc, I thought there was no way that would be me - when the baby moved I would know for sure. But it's actually much harder to figure out than I thought. I think these could be movements, but they are so faint and last for such a short time it really is hard to say.
Otherwise, the symptoms are the same. Although as my belly grows I am sure that my bladder is shrinking to abnormally small proportions, as I almost constantly feel the urge to pee. Sleeping is still a little difficult, partly because every night involves so many bathroom trips and partly because I have become the worlds lightest sleeper. A squirrel farts outside the window and I am instantly awake. Ok, so it's not quite that bad but everytime I roll over, Erik rolls over, or Lucy makes a tiny noise I am up. Perhaps this is natures way of preparing mothers to be up all night with a newborn. In any case, I feel great most days even functioning on less sleep than usual, so I really can't complain.
So Saturday during my sale-ing adventures I found mostly house related stuff but I did find one baby item... A new-in-box manual breast pump. Amazon price $40, I paid $2.
Things to look forward to: DC next weekend and a trip to Tennessee the following. Oh yea, and our next ultrasound which I have scheduled for Sept 6th! Counting down the days until we find out if our little sweet potato is a boy or girl...
But I still want to slow down summer. Just a little.


No comments:
Post a Comment