Sunday, July 28, 2013

16 weeks

Well, I am officially starting to outgrow my regular clothes.  That skirt I loved so much in my 10 week update (and that I was so sure was going to last me until the end of the summer) was retired yesterday after spending all afternoon unsuccessfully trying to readjust it on my growing belly. I have also started to pile up other skirts and shirts that are just not flattering (or too snug) on this small but ever-growing bump!  I don't yet feel ready to start wearing "maternity" clothes even though I have picked up a few things lately as I have found good deals, so I am trying to sort through what is left of my regular clothes to see what still fits for the time being.

16 weeks + 4 days
I have no new symptoms to report, just the belly expansion and the same few little things I have been reporting the past couple of weeks.  I feel like a broken record repeating this week after week, but I really am lucky to be able to say I still feel great  :)


At 16 weeks the baby is the size of an avocado (Erik asked if it was one of the Hass variety, ha!) measures around 4.6 inches long, and weighs about 3.5 ounces.  I have been reading that I need to get ready for a major growth spurt these next few weeks though, as the baby is about to double its weight in the next two weeks alone.  I think that might have already started, this morning I woke and woah baby, I had a large melon protruding from my lower abdomen.  Even Erik couldn't believe how much larger it looked this morning while I was laying in bed. I had actually been worried these past few days as I though I was kind of small for how far along I am, but this morning was reassurance that this little one is no longer the tiny peanut it once was!

Developmentally this week, the baby is growing hair, lashes and eyebrows, and forming taste buds.  The coolest thing though, is that tiny bones are forming in the ears which means he/she might be able to hear us!  Time to stop listening to Lady Gaga and turn up the Mozart.  Just kidding, I never listen to Lady Gaga.  Ever.  I sure hope the baby likes bluegrass though  ;)

I am patiently awaiting those first flutters of movement that I read can start around week 16, but so far nothing.  I have been spending a fair amount of time lately trying to lay still and concentrate to see if that helps, lol...  So far it hasn't.  Even when I gently poke at the bump or rub it with my hand, still nothing.  Soon I hope!

On Friday I have my second visit to the birthing center where I will start meeting with the midwives.  I am excited to hear the heartbeat again as well as start getting to know all of the providers.  I am really looking forward to the ultrasound which won't be for another month yet, but I am can't wait to find out the gender.  Then we can (more seriously) start working on a name for this little avocado!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment