Friday, January 29, 2016

Arlo's 2nd birthday party

I am a bit late in writing this, and we didn't really have a big party or anything, but I still want to document what we did on Arlo's second birthday. 

Erik's parents, Scott, and Caitrin were all in town visiting for the few days surrounding New Years and Arlo's birthday.  Even though Arlo got an overwhelming amount of Christmas presents just six days prior, we still wanted to surprise him with something new on his birthday.  His present from Erik and I was an Ikea play kitchen with accessories.  The night before Arlo's birthday, Erik stayed up late to assemble and organize the kitchen after Arlo went to bed.  I really wanted it to be all set up so it was a fun surprise when he came down the next morning.  Here he is checking out the kitchen (also, this was during our pant-less potty training phase, hence the no pants!):






Later in the day Arlo's bestie, Lyra, came over with her family.  I knew what would make him the happiest on his special day would be surrounded by some of his favorite people, and I know he had a great time!  Here are the kiddos playing together:




We took the easy way out in the food department and picked up some prepared salads, veggies, and chips from Whole Foods for lunch.  When Erik ran out to the store, I spent the morning baking cupcakes, which I suppose is becoming somewhat of a birthday tradition since I did the same thing last year!  I also sent Erik on a mission to find Mickey Mouse plates, cups, and napkins, so I guess that was the theme if you want to call it that.  My parents bought the "ARLO" candles and they were such a cute topper for his cupcake!


 



We sang happy birthday and afterwards Erik helped Arlo blow out the candles.  Arlo seemed like he would have been able to do it himself, so we relit them to let him give it a try.  He did really well until the last candle where he leaned over too far and got a little too close to the flame.  He didn't burn his skin or anything but I think it really startled him because he got pretty upset, poor kid.  He wouldn't even try his cupcake but then again he isn't much for sweets and doesn't like any baked goods so I wasn't too surprised, and I had no problem finishing his cupcake for him!




Our friends went home in the afternoon so the kids could nap, and Arlo was so sad when they left.  He did not want his party to end, especially since he had to nap right after!  Later that day, we made an official mark on his growth chart that I made a few months back.  33.5" tall!  That evening we all went out for pizza at the local Mellow Mushroom.  Veggie pizza is one of his favorite foods so it was definitely an Arlo-approved birthday dinner.


Happy second birthday, Arlo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment