So, 33. How will I remember my 33rd birthday? Like this...
My birthday started early. I mean, really early. At 1:30am the battery in one of the two smoke detectors right outside our bedroom door decided to crap out. Erik sleeps through events like this, but not me. So, around 1:33am here I was, half asleep and standing on a chair, trying to pull down the smoke detectors (why on gods green earth anyone would hang two detectors on the ceiling three feet apart is beyond me.) Finally get them down, batteries out, and back to bed. Around 3:30am the alarm on Arlo's clock radio that we let him play with so he can listen to music when he wants to, starts blaring. Erik actually hears this one, goes to his room, and presses all the buttons until it goes off. Thirty minutes later, a repeat alarm clock experience. This time he unplugs it and comes back to bed. Arlo sleeps though it all. The clock radio is still unplugged to this day.
I wake up around the usual 7:00 hour, foggy from what felt like a night of almost no sleep. Happy birthday to me, ha! But I wasn't going to let anything get me down, we had a lot planned and it was after all, my special day. After breakfast, we all set out early to head to a kids consignment sale that I had been looking forward to for months. I didn't find much at the sale, but still had fun looking. We had to run a couple other errands in the area, and ended up at our favorite Indian restaurant for lunch. I should mention that we were spending the day in our old "hometown" so we were trying to soak up as many local amenities as we could!
Here I am at lunch, the owner of the restaurant brought us some spiced cashews, a cupcake, and a fruit bowl when she learned it was my birthday!
After lunch, we headed to my friends house for her sons 1st birthday party. Arlo had a great time playing with all the kids and toys at the party, and I had a fun time visiting with friends. After the party, we headed just down the road to John & Rhiannas house. Their little lady, Lyra, is one of Arlo's besties. So he of course was super excited to see her and have even more toys to play with! The Ohio State football game was on, which the boys watched while mama R and I played with the kiddos. We had homemade vegan chili and cornbread for dinner, and the best ever chocolate cupcakes for dessert. I mean really, these cupcakes were heavenly. R shared the recipe with me, and now I am sharing it here on the blog. I want these cupcakes to get as much exposure as possible, they are really that good. Best ever cupcakes.
| Arlo helping me "blow out" my candle. We relit it and he was actually able to blow it out on his own. |
Here are a few shots of the kids playing together. They are so sweet with each other and at such a fun age. A & L are only a week apart in age, and I have a feeling they are going to grow up being great friends!
| laying down taking a rest and pretending to "sleep" |
![]() |
| playing the piano together and giving hugs. don't mind Arlo's pants, he was trying a new style ;) |
So that was my first day of being 33. I went to bed feeling loved, happy, and full of gratitude for the people in my life. And also with new batteries in the smoke detectors...

No comments:
Post a Comment