Tuesday, September 29, 2015

beach weekend

It's so easy to get caught up in the daily grind.  The early morning wake-ups, cereal spilled on the floor, rushing to get out the door to work on time, to what the heck do I make for dinner, toddler melt downs, bedtime baths, and then tiding the house before you crash on the couch, exhausted from the day.  Once in a while it's nice, and necessary really, to spent some child-free time with your spouse, and soft of hit the reset button on life. 

A couple of weekends ago, Erik and I went away for a little beach vacation, just the two of us.  Neither of us have any relatives that live close by, so the chance for Erik and I to do anything alone together (even something as simple as a trip to the grocery store) is pretty rare.  So, when given the opportunity, we happily take it.  My parents drove over from Tennessee, and my sister Megan even flew down from Chicago, so there were plenty of hands on deck to care for Arlo while Erik and I were away.  Erik has been talking about taking a trip to Myrtle Beach for years now, as this is where he vacationed with his family every summer during his childhood.  We decided to stay there one night, then head north to one of our favorite beaches a little closer to home, Kure beach.

Basically, we left our kiddo at home so we could go off and act like kids ourselves.  We sat lazily on the beach, splashed in the ocean, played putt-putt, visited the arcade more than once, shopped for tchotchkes, rode on a ferry (with our car, sweet!), and walked around the beach and boardwalk in the evenings.  I was the putt-putt game champion, but no match for Erik's ski-ball skills at the arcade.  We came home happy, well-rested, and super excited to see our little guy. 

Reset button, consider yourself pressed.


North Myrtle Beach

putt-putt at Hawaiian Rumble, the #1 rated course in the world (so they say!)

Fort Fisher on the drive to Kure Beach

And the reason we chose that weekend in particular to head away just the two of us?  Well, a few days prior we had celebrated our four year wedding anniversary!  It's crazy to think of all the changes we have been through in just four short years.  Looking forward to so many more with my pretty awesome hubby  :)



3 comments:

  1. Love this! If you need another night or two away, drop little man at our house for a slumber party. I guarantee that we will keep him alive and fed. I do not guarantee that we will sleep. But it would be fun!

    Adult time is important and needed to be the best parent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I am already thinking of ways we can take you up on this generous offer!! :D

      So don't be surprised if we do! And the same goes for you guys, that is, if we can still them away from their grandparents ;)

      Delete
    2. *steal, not still.

      Damn autocorrect!

      Delete