Sunday, August 30, 2015

currently.

It's the end of August, and I am currently...

Eating:  Cabbage!   Our local grocery was recently sampling a coleslaw with raw sweet potato, savoy cabbage, cilantro, and a peanut-lime dressing.  Both Arlo and I tried it and loved it, and since then I have been trying to figure out ways to add cabbage into more of our meals.  I also recently made a delicious bean and rice bowl that looked like this:


I will be putting this recipe into our meal rotation for sure.  The toasted green rice was a nice change from my usual plain brown basmati and the black beans were so flavorful.  I topped it with fresh tomatoes from our garden and a ripe avocado.  Recipe here:  Sweet Potato and Green Rice Burrito Bowls.

Erik has been doing a lot of traveling lately for work - in the past month alone he has gone to Roanoke and Asheville for work related trips, and last weekend he was in Pennsylvania for his brother's bachelor party.  To help me get through last weekend by myself with a teething toddler I made these yummy black bean brownies with whipped coconut cream.  Sooooo good.  Due to my lack of self control around sweets (and crying/food throwing/rebelling my son did) the entire batch was devoured within two days.  But they had an entire can of black beans in them so they pretty much count as health food.  Right?!  If the thought of putting black beans in your brownies isn't your thing, I do encourage you to still try the whipped coconut cream.  So easy and delicious.  I used this recipe, adding in maybe 2 TBSP powdered sugar and a bit of vanilla:  whipped coconut cream.  I enjoyed it on the brownies (and straight from the bowl!) but my favorite was eating the leftovers on fresh strawberries the next morning. 


The coconut cream started me on a major coconut kick and I subconsciously picked up all the coconut things at Trader Joe's yesterday...


I tried making the whipped coconut cream with this can from Trader Joes and found that the regular full fat canned coconut milk still works the best.  The TJ's coconut cream is almost too thick or gritty or something.  Anyway, give it a try - it's delicious!


Watching:  We had kind of forgotten about one of our regular shows, Californication, until we discovered new episodes on Netflix recently.  It's not a show that puts you on the edge of your seat or anything, but still good for evening entertainment.  Also still working my way through Gilmore Girls.  I don't want it to end!  And as far as movies go, this weekend we watched St.Vincent, which was very good.  But I think I would say that about anything with Melissa McCarthy, I just love her!


Making:  Oh the things I have been making...  This time of the year always seems to spark my creativity and I end up feeling overwhelmed with all of the projects I want to do.  None of them are ever essential things, just fun projects to serve as creative outlets.  I have been working on a rather large project that has kept me busy for the past week or so, but it's not quite ready to be shared yet.  Here's a sneak peek, any guesses as to what it is?


Here are a few hints:  I made it for Arlo, and to procure the materials I had to make trips to both Lowes and the fabric store, and to make it I had to take over the entire (empty) bonus room upstairs to spread the whole thing out on the floor as I was working on it - it's that big!  A can of coconut milk for whoever guesses correctly first!

I have also been sketching from my new drawing book I recently ordered online (used for like $3!)  It's called 20 Ways to Draw a Cat, and it's so fun!  I have never really been very talented with drawing but I love to doodle and while this book doesn't really teach you how to draw, it's served as great inspiration when I just want to sit for a few and zone out with my colored pencils.



Looking forward to:  Erik's brothers wedding coming up very soon, and the beach trip (sans Arlo) that Erik and I will be taking for our anniversary the weekend after that.  Also
soooo looking forward to fall.  It has always been my very favorite time of the year, and after our unusually hot summer I am looking forward to it now more than ever.  The stores have just put out all their Halloween and fall stuff, and I couldn't resist picking up the cutest pair of skeleton jammies for Arlo the other day.  Which has somewhat helped to alleviate my semi-annual PJ panic.  You know, when you start to think that the weather might suddenly turn frigid (or boiling hot depending on the time of year) and OH MY GOD WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH PAJAMAS!!!  Ha.  So maybe not quite like that, but PJ's are my favorite thing to buy for Arlo and there is nothing like a tiny human, all freshly bathed and ready for bed with their teeth brushed and hair combed, wearing a brand new set of adorable PJ's.  Is it October yet?!


Loving:  My new haircut!!  Right after we moved in to our new house, we received a coupon in the mail for a free haircut at a somewhat swanky nearby salon, and while I usually cut my own hair at home, even I couldn't argue with free.  So I dropped Arlo off at the sitters house for a few hours and spent at least a full hour feeling super pampered while I had my hair washed, cut, and styled.  She choose to straighten it which I never do, but with the new cut it really works for me.  Now seeing if I can achieve this look on my own is a whole 'nother story... 



straight hair - who am I?!
Also loving the Sunday morning routine we have found our way into this summer.  We start the day with breakfast and a family walk on the greenway that connects with our neighborhood, and then I get to go to a yoga class while Erik and Arlo go on a little adventure together.  One of Erik's former co-workers gave us a brand new Burley bike trailer before we moved, and we are getting so much use out of it.  We have even taken it grocery shopping, it has a little trunk behind the seats!  Erik will load up Arlo in the trailer, which Arlo really seems to enjoy, and then they take a trip to one of the many neaby parks, always with a stop at Starbucks first.  Then they come home and have lunch together, and soon after I arrive home from yoga.  It's a win-win for all, the boys get some alone time while mama gets her namaste on.  Plus - exercise for all.  And then we all come home happy.  How can I schedule Sunday to come a little more frequently??


Not loving:  the word "perfect."  I think I have seen it a little too frequently on social media and blogs lately.  "This day is perfect!"  "My kids are perfect!"  "My whole life is freaking perfect!"  Insert eye roll here.  Nothing is ever perfect (except maybe an avocado at peak ripeness) and I get suspicious of people who are constantly claiming everything is.  So if you hear me use that word please slap me.  Unless I am talking about an avocado.  Rant over. 


Learning:  So at the moment I should be studying for the ACLS class I am taking this week.  But no, blogging is way more important.  Moving on...


Getting back to:  Sewing!  Eager to crochet a few things in the near future.  I know of a few babies scheduled to arrive this winter (not from me!) and I think all newborn babes need a crocheted item or two. 


And one last thing - earlier this week was National Dog Day.  Which I had never heard of but let's roll with it.  I say let's take any opportunity we can to celebrate our four legged fur babies.  A belated shout out to my gal Lucy, who has been driving me crazy with her sudden desire to chew Arlo's toys, but who I will still love to the end no matter what...  Happy Dog Day, Lucy girl  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment