Reading: Wild. Oh my goodness, this book is so, so good. In fact, I wavered between sitting down to read or blogging during the nap that Arlo is currently taking, but blogging won out because I have had a nagging voice in my head for the past few days warning me that my blog neglection over the past month might worry my three readers. Ha. Seriously though, this book is addicting - I have laughed, cried, and stayed up too late reading it these past few days, and I am only about 1/3 of the way though it. She writes like I wish I could about something that a much braver version of me wishes I could have done in my early 20's. Before this book, I read Saving CeeCee Honeycutt which was given to me by my mom, and enjoyed that book as well. A feel-good, coming-of-age, girl-power book that is a pretty light read if you are looking for something in that category.
Making: deodorant. Here's why... Three and a half years ago, just before our wedding, I developed a pretty bad allergy to my "natural" Toms deodorant. Although, I didn't know that the deodorant was what I was reacting to. I thought that I had somehow inexplicably acquired poison ivy under my arms. So for the next few weeks, I kept puttin' on the Toms, and the rash got worse. I finally stopped using the deodorant because it was hurting to apply it, and wouldn't you know, the rash went away after a few days. I started using that rock salt deodorant soon after with mild success. A few weeks ago I decided that maybe I had outgrown my allergy to deodorant, so I use some of Erik's "natural" stick. Everything was fine... for a few days. But it wasn't long until I ended up with that same allergic break-out under my arms. So... I did some research online and learned that I am not the only one who has an allergy to deodorant! There are several recipes out there to make your own, one in particular that gets great reviews. So I whipped up a batch and have been using it daily for the past few weeks with pretty good success. The recipe is cheap and easy - coconut oil, arrowroot powder, backing soda, and tea tree oil. It works pretty well, but it is the middle of winter so the true test will be conducted this summer.
And that's way more than you ever wanted to know about my allergy to deodorant isn't it? Sorry... But for the people who spend time around me on a regular basis, I think you will thank me. Hopefully gone are my #dirtyhippie days.
But I am still going to continue to wash my hair only once a week. So there's that...
Eating: I am currently on a toast-for-breakfast kick, and just polished off two pieces of whole grain toast with earth balance and apple butter while typing this. Erik and I are letting gluten back into our lives periodically and so far, so good. It tends to catch up with us after a while though so hopefully my taste buds will tire of toast before my tummy does!
Feeling: Not fully awake - Arlo has four teeth coming in all at once (his canines) and last night he was up twice, and then up for good this morning at 6am. Thankfully, after these four teeth surface there are only four more to go - the way back molars (that's the technical name, right?)
Listening: 90's country station on Pandora. So lucky I have a husband who puts up with this. And P.S., what ever happened to The Dixie Chicks?!
Wearing: The new yoga clothes I treated myself to with my Christmas money from the P's. For the past four weekends I have been going to a local yoga class and enjoying it immensely. I forgot how important yoga used to be to me, both for physical as well as mental health. So happy and thankful that it found its way back into my life! I am currently doing yoga twice a week or so, but I am slowly working towards getting to the point of practicing three times a week.
Watching: Downton Abbey. Don't tell anyone, but Erik actually chose to watch DA with me last Sunday over the superbowl that originally he was pretty excited to watch. #besthusbandever.
Looking forward to: Actually, several big things. More on that to come soon ;)
Disliking: My postpartum hair. It's growing back in such a way that it looks like I cut short bangs around my forehead. I promise, I would never do that with my curly hair. I have taken to bobby pinning back the silly parts so it doesn't look like I walked straight out of a 1980's music video!
Loving: Our freshly painted fireplace and new mantle hand-built by my talented hubby (pictures and info on that coming soon as well!) Morning hikes in the woods with Lucy. Dark chocolate. Baby shoes - now that Arlo is walking everywhere I have become obsessed with finding him the cutest little footwear (ebay and the thrift store have had some great finds!!) Yoga classes with my friend, mama R. This new phase Arlo is in where he loves playing outside and cried when we have to come inside (although I don't love the crying part!) Very much looking forward to this spring and summer when we can spend long hours at playgrounds, letting Arlo burn off all that toddler energy he currently has!
Dirty hippie! Ha! I constantly say "I wouldn't really call myself crunchy." And then John reminds me of all the things I do - like not using shampoo (baking soda & vinegar are all I need! and only twice a week at best!) and then I realize I might be sliiiiightly bordering on dirty hippie.
ReplyDeleteYay for all these things! I'm going to try my hand at blogging every day for a month soon to get back into the swing of things. It's hard to get back into it after the busyness of the holidays. Can't wait to get our om on this weekend!
Also - I hate the post-partum hair look too. I have a crown around my head of very short baby bangs so pulling my hair up is basically useless. I hate it! Can't wait til it grows back.
DeleteI have heard of this new "no poo" trend but with only washing mine once a week I really need a good cleansing by the time that 7th day rolls around. I probably need some kind of industrial solvent but find that Natures Gate is working for now, lol ;)
DeleteI am excited for your daily blogging for a month! I have so many things I want to blog about but lacking time these days... Eventually I will get to it all!