One of my most recent projects is this little guy, Amineko the cat:
I came across the pattern on Ravelry a few weeks ago and fell in love with him immediately. There is actually a book about this cat, found here: Hello My Name is Amineko: The Story of a Crafty Crochet Cat
Fortunately the artist also has the pattern for free online if you don't want to buy the book. Pattern here: Amineko
The pattern took longer than I expected since I kept working on other
side craft projects, but I am so happy with the end result!
Even though it is warm and springtime here in NC I made him a colorful scarf
so he is ready for cold weather at anytime. I also thought he needed a
toy to play with so I made a mini-Amineko, which actually kind of looked
like a bear with a cat-tail when I was done. Oh well… He is sporting a
pretty cute sweater if you ask me!
I used dried chick peas in his hands, feet, and
bottom which gives them weight and helps make him so "pose-able." Since he will one day be loved and kissed by a child, I was
afraid of the chocking hazard the beans presented so I used scrap fabric to sew up tiny
little “pouches” for the beans to go into before I put them in Amineko.
I used organic cotton yarn which is grown and spun without the use of pesticides,
herbicides or other chemicals. Being cotton it should last a long time and refrain from stretching out and changing shape like synthetic yarns tend to do.
The hardest part of the whole project (which overall was actually very easy
to make) was his darn face! I did his mouth/nose THREE times before I
was satisfied. I am glad I kept re-doing it though, I love how it turned
out.
Speaking of cats, Erik has some news of recent that has to do with a cat of another kind. He recently upgraded to a CAT 1 cyclist, which is the highest category you can be classified in without being pro. I guess all those long hours on the bike are really paying off!
Congrats on your upgrade Erik!!







No comments:
Post a Comment